Monday, May 10, 2010

Even Writers Feel the Humdrum


Even writers lose the fun of writing. It is natural and is something that has no basis in rational thought. Neither has it any practical application.


I remember when I was a lot younger, I used to run. I was good at it and my very first long distance race was one where I finished in the top 20 out of 1000 runners. It made me feel good and it made me carry on running in order to try and win some races or, at least, challenge myself even more.


But the process by which that could come about was not something I enjoyed. Coming home after a hard day, changing into sports gear and going out into the wind and rain was not my idea of heaven. But it needed to be done if I was going to face the challenge.


The same thing with writing. Yes, I do enjoy it, very much. But sometimes it just gets plain tedious. Looking for subjects, thinking of what to write and generally getting down to writing it can be humdrum sometimes. But I do it because it gives me a lift when I produce something that helps other people and that gets published somewhere. If I make a profit too then that is an added bonus.


Sometimes, my work is printed in daily papers or glossy magazines. That feels good, not least because the event is usually accompanied by a good sized check for my efforts. The feelings of humdrum and tedium disappear for a good while when this happens.


I will continue to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment