Thursday, May 6, 2010

Beating Writers Block Easily


Writers block is common. You sit and try to write but somehow nothing comes out. It happens to everyone who writes, and is different from procrastination. You want to write, but it's just not working. This can plague both professional writers, those who write as part of their job, as well as recreational writers, and can be extremely frustrating! Here are a few techniques that have worked for me and others.


Change your venue. If you normally write in your office, go to a coffee shop. Maybe you should try writing outside? I've been known to sit under a tree with my laptop and suddenly have words just pour out of me. Often just a change of venue works, but what sometimes works better is a change to a brand new venue, somewhere you have never been before, which sometimes works like a charm!


Change your writing implements. Do you normally use a computer like most people? Try writing with pen or pencil and paper. How about your kid's crayons and colored construction paper? Once I broke through writers block with a fountain pen and a piece of cardboard. It wasn't planned; it just happened, which leads us to our next tip.


Be prepared for your block to suddenly end. You might be in traffic, you might be in the shower, or you might be somewhere more convenient, but at least have a writing implement and paper handy if nothing else. You never know when the mood might strike you. Do however be very careful about trying to write while driving! I'll admit I have started jotted notes down, but please pull over and stop your car!


Sometimes just making yourself write anything will help enormously, even if only drivel comes out. I've been known to copy the newspaper to get myself writing until something creative came out! It did work, although I felt silly. Just the physical act of writing can jump start you sometimes. Also, sometimes if you think you're just producing drivel, it'll actually be pretty good when you look at it later!


Read. Reading is a great antidote. Rea things you've previously written, read things by others, surf and read random things online. I'll sometimes buy a random magazine, one on a subject I know nothing about and have no previous interest in, just to get me going. Obviously reading and writing are very related.


Hopefully these tips help. The fact that you are reading itself will help. Good luck and hopefully you'll be cranking out some great content soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment